skip to main content

Dual Enrollment/Community College Classes

What is Dual Enrollment?
EGUSD students have an exciting opportunity to participate in Dual Enrollment (formerly called Advanced Education). Dual Enrollment is intended to provide high school students with educational enrichment opportunities at the community college level. Current high school students who are interested in taking classes at one of the Los Rios Community Colleges (ARC, CRC, FLC, or SCC) may enroll in a maximum of 11 units each semester (summer, fall and spring) if they get approval from our school and can balance it with all of their other commitments.
  • Students must have started the 9th grade or be at least 14 years of age by the first day of instruction.
  • Students must be mature enough to understand the course material and to benefit from the presentation style.
  • Students must get the approval from their school counselor, if they are interested in taking college classes through Dual Enrollment.
  • Please remember that community college classes will not go on your high school transcript and will not fulfill a graduation requirement.
All of our high school students are eligible to take community college classes as long as it doesn't interfere with their high school coursework/schedule and it will not count towards a graduation requirement or be added on their high school transcript, but this can be a great opportunity to explore a college class of interest that we do not offer. You will want to consider your time and energy before enrolling in a community college class, and if you are too busy during the school year you can also apply to take Summer classes once they are available to review.
School counselors do not work or review applications when school is not in session (e.g., during fall, winter, spring, and summer breaks), so you will want to get this done early if interested and go see your counselor if you have any questions.
STUDENTS and PARENTS/GUARDIANS - Things to Consider:
  • Do you understand that college courses will not be added to your high school transcript?  
    • Colleges would like to see any college courses taken while enrolled in high school on the college transcript only.
  • Do you understand that the grades earned in college courses will be reflected on your permanent college transcript?  
    • If you do poorly, you may be put on academic probation and it could affect your financial aid eligibility.
  • Do you understand the college's academic calendar and how to drop classes without notation or with a "W" if you are not earning the grade you desire?
    • Poor grades in dual enrollment courses can hurt students' chances of receiving financial aid as well as their eligibility to enroll in a four-year college or university.  
  • Do you have enough time to dedicate to college courses outside of your regular high school day?
    • A 3-unit course will require you to be in class for 3 hours each week and you will have between 6-9 hours of homework for that course each week.
    • You can expect the same time commitment, if not more, for online courses
  • When a high school student enrolls in a college course, privacy rights under FERPA (Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act) related to the class transfer from parent to the student.
College courses will not be added to the high school transcript to reduce high school graduation requirements or replace equivalent courses offered at the high school of attendance (Education Code 48800). Students and families must consider whether they will be able to handle a college class in addition to a full high school course load or consider applying to take a summer community college class.
Step 1: Explore what Community College Class(es) You May Want to Apply For & What Community College You Plan to Apply To
Click here to view the community class options, but make sure that you are in the correct Semester (Summer, Fall, Spring, etc.). This will help you decide what specific Community College (CRC, SCC, ARC, or FLC) you may want to apply to keeping in mind that you could take a Fully Online class (i.e., asynchronous) at any of our four community colleges or try to find an in-person class you could physically attend. Remember you can't apply for community college classes that are the same as our Franklin AP classes and these community college classes will not replace something you need to take here at Franklin.
Step 2: Apply to the LRCC of your choice (to generate a LRCC ID#) and login to set up an e-services account
New Students: Apply to a LRCC to be assigned a Los Rios Student ID number which will be sent by email from the Los Rios Community College District. After receiving your ID number, follow the directions in the email to set up your eServices account. Your Los Rios ID number is required and is a seven-digit number with a preceding "W", for example W2000000.
Continuing Students: Login to eServices and complete the 'Supplemental Enrollment Information Form' located in the Tasks tile.
Step 3: Complete the Dual Enrollment Application Packet (i.e., Special Admit Form)
Students must complete the Student section of the Dual Enrollment Application (PDF), including signatures for Parent and Student. NOTE: To fill out the PDF, open it in Adobe Acrobat reader (free). Download for mobile devices or desktop computers.
Step 4: Send initial Dual Enrollment/Special Admit Form to Your School Counselor
  • Send initial Dual Enrollment Application to your counselor for review. If your counselor approves, then they will sign, and send it back to you or will notify you of any problems or concerns.
Step 5: Submit Special Admit Form

We recommend that you use your personal email address and not your school email, as your school firewall may not allow external emails.
The submission must contain:
  • Completed Special Admit Form (PDF), including up to six courses with the Class Name and Class Number (example: SOC 300/#22323).

Step 6: Check Your Email for Confirmation and Enrollment Information
  • You will receive an email notification when your Special Admit Form has been processed. Check the email you listed on your Special Admit Form.
  • If approved, then Admissions and Records will process your request and send you an email confirmation with the enrollment status and any action steps for you to take.
Step 7: Pay Your Fees
  • Pay your fees after you are enrolled in classes.
  • Tuition fees are waived for Dual Enrollment students - however, you are responsible for paying the rest of your fees, including the Universal Transit Pass (UTP) and student representation fees.
  • You can see how much you owe and pay your fees in eServices. Click HERE for tutorials on setting up your E-Services account and accessing Canvas. From your dashboard, click Financial Account, then Account Balance.
If you wish to take courses at multiple colleges in the Los Rios District, a separate Special Admit Form needs to be submitted for each college you wish to attend. If you need additional assistance please go see your school counselor during school hours. Good luck!